Director of Engineering
Location: Scarborough, ON
Start Date: March 2020
Genecis Bioindustries is a venture-backed startup that uses bacteria to make premium materials affordable. Our first product line is based on PHA biodegradable plastics created from organic waste. The company is composed of a dynamic team of scientists and engineers rapidly scaling up an innovative process aiming to improve the sustainable and cost-effective production of PHAs.
Genecis aims to be a leader in waste to value upcycling through fermentation technology. By tackling both food waste and plastic pollution, we will find unique market opportunities that allow us to conduct business sustainably while remaining competitive in the waste management and plastic manufacturing industries.
Genecis is seeking a Director of Engineering who will hold a key leadership role within the company and provide direction to the engineering team on ongoing projects and future innovations.
The ideal candidate will provide research direction, project management and construction co-ordination expertise to Genecis’ technical development, ensuring compliance with all applicable government policies, procedures, regulations and guidelines. Excellent interpersonal communication and organization skills are key as the position will require management of various stakeholders including contractors, subcontractors, vendors, and fabricators. The successful candidate will demonstrate excellent communication and people skills, strong project leadership, and technical expertise.
- Responsible for advancing technology licensing opportunities and managing external interactions pertaining to engineering aspects of the technology
- Assist in the preparation of governmental grants and development of sales opportunities with partners and clients
- Lead Genecis’ engineering team efforts in advancing the technology, including:
- Team management: hiring planning, engineering team development, department and staff work structure
- Develop and enforce strategy for work completion, including setting work priority and resource allocation
- Managing projects and/or assigning project leads. This includes project planning, budgeting, procurement management, construction management, and commissioning, reporting.
- Provide technical support and guidance in technical decision making for engineering projects and research
- Ensuring safe engineering practices in design and operations
- Developing strategy for technology development for commercialization
- Report to and engage with company’s management teams and contribute positively in the strategic and technical decision-making process
- Raise and maintain awareness of all technology development issues and risks, and identify works with appropriate parties to develop solutions
- Ensuring development of the engineering department’s capabilities including managing its access to technical tools, work space, distribution of workload, staff evaluations, and team building.
- Post-Secondary Degree in Biochemical, Bioprocess, Chemical engineering preferred
- Professional Engineering (PEng) designation
- Senior Engineer with a minimum of 10 years with experience in project management, biochemical plant construction and commissioning
- Excellent organization and engineering project management skills including planning, scheduling, assigning, budgeting, procurement, and commissioning.
- Background in engineering sales and understanding of technology licensing
- Familiarity in mechanical systems including filtration equipment, solvent extraction, particle reduction, centrifuges, and bioreactors
- Excellent interpersonal communication and technical writing skills
- Strong understanding of fermentation technologies
- Experience in applying for permits and approvals at various levels of government (federal, provincial, and municipal, where required)
- Experience conducting procurement management
- Proficiency with MS Office and MS Project applications
- Travel required within Toronto and the Greater Toronto Area
- Familiarity with concepts and equipment of typical wastewater treatment and fermentation plant operations
- Knowledge of safety systems, scrubbers, compressors, pumps, valves, mixers, fans, etc.
- Knowledge of biochemical processes related to PHA production
- Familiarity with chemicals and mechanical equipment supply chains
- Experience safely handling hazardous materials given the proper SOPs and PPE
- Comfortable with a fast-paced work environment
Interested applicants may submit a CV and a cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org